Monday, March 14, 2011

How do Sociologists Study Society?



I found this chapter interesting because it likened sociology to a scientific process.  It proved to me that sociology isn't simply one humans observation of how other humans live together but a process involving logic, rationality, and careful observation.  This is evident from the first page of the text where it is stated that sociology derived from the ancient Greeks study of philosophy.  Greek philosophers are famous today for the sayings that most people use in their everyday life.  We must, however, give them much more credit for they implored that people take a critical approach to certain ideas.  They also believed that one must "reject authority alone as the basis for truth, and to be suspicious of what the culture…claimed to be true" (7).  The Greeks developed "rational proof' or logic.  I honestly had no idea that sociology claimed its roots in the philosophical works of the Greeks.  I like to think I am open minded enough to try to see the world around me from a perspective other than mine but it is honestly so difficult.  One quote that stood out to me was "society's central goal, to understand what society actually is irrespective of what people want it to be".  

No comments:

Post a Comment